Saturday, October 10, 2009

Taking time out


As a work-from-home-mom of 2 small children having time alone to do what I want to do comes about....well, almost never. Which means that most of the time I feel a bit frazzled and worn out. Don’t get me wrong – I adore my children and family, but a girl just needs a little time out once in a while.
Well, thanks to my wonderful mom and dad I got just such an opportunity this morning. They had the kids for the night and my hubby had to work today so little old me was home alone for most of the day. I woke up and sent my man off to work. Then cuddled back into bed with a cup of tea and biscuits to watch an old movie. Just this small act of self indulgence made me feel totally rejuvenated when I got out of bed later at 10am.
Being a farmer means that even on weekends there is lots to be done around here. But today, because I was on my own (not with 2 little girls, with their sandals, and dresses and muddy feet and flowers and sticks and stones and wining in tow) my work outside seemed so pleasant. No one was asking me if I was finished yet or telling me they need the toilet or a drink of water or a snack. No one was nagging to go inside and no one was walking through my vegetable seed beds with me having to yell at them to get away from my plants. It was a windy day outside but totally peaceful and calm in my head and heart and I could enjoy planting out my new seedlings and securing some steel wool around them to ward of the snails and slugs. I could enjoy weeding around my little plants and helping them to attach to the canes they are to climb up. I enjoyed watering my seeds and seedlings and taking the time to see how each one is doing.
I was doing what I always do and have to do each day, but I was loving it.
So if you are a busy mom, or dad or student or farmer, take some time out – alone – to treat yourself sometimes and pause a while to enjoy what you do.
P.S. In other news, this week has seen one of my dogs get sick with billary (tick-bite-fever). No matter how often you treat them for ticks, living on a small holding means that ticks and fleas are everywhere and they are bound to get it sometime – so heres hoping the others don’t come down with it too.
We have had no rain since Sunday and have had hot days of 30 degrees Celsius which means that everything is dry and dusty. Hoping the big rains will start soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment